Embedded Motion Control 2019
'PICO in the Hospital'
This course is about software design and how to apply this in the context of autonomous robots. The accompanying assignment is about applying this knowledge to a real-life robotics task.
Course Schedule and Lecture Slides
Lectures will be given on Wednesdays from 15.30h-17.30h in Traverse van Trierzaal. The special lectures at May 10th and June 7th will take place at GEM-Z 0.05! The preliminary course schedule is as follows:
|April 24||Introduction by René van de Molengraft||Tooling and Infrastructure by Bob Hendrikx|
|May 1||Do’s and Don’ts in the design of a robotic software architecture" by Herman Bruyninckx|
|May 8||First presentation of the design by the groups. 6-minute presentation, about the group's initial design. Afterwards 4 minutes for questions.|
|May 10||SCRUM & Gitlab by Puck Mulders and Bob Hendrikx|
|May 15||Escape Room Competition||Reflection Session|
|June 5||Presentation of final design by the groups.|
|June 7||Company Presentations|
|June 12||Final Competition|
To get started, please do the tutorials on the Tutorial Page.
Here you can find a collection of Frequently Asked Questions. Please check this page before contacting the student assistants or the tutors! If you find any issues or questions you had to deal with, please add them as well so your colleagues don't run into the same problems.
Hand-in a 3-page A4-sized design document as pdf (<1Mb) that pictures/describes the initial design idea with:
You should upload this design document to your group's Wiki-page as this is a vital document in the design process. Make sure the document has been uploaded on May 6th, 17.00h. In case of questions about the document, consult your tutor.
Escape Room Competition
- You have finished the assignment if PICO did not bump into walls and the entire rear wheel is across the finish line.
- Do not touch the walls! Slightly touching is allowed, however, bumping (i.e., driving head-on into a wall) is not allowed! If PICO hits the wall, we decide whether it counts as bumping.
- Every team has two trials (= max one restart). A trial ends if:
- PICO bumps into the wall
- PICO has not moved or has not made sensible movements (as judged by the tutors) for 30 seconds
- The total time limit of 5 minutes per group is reached
- The group requests a restart (on the first trial)
- restart means:
- PICO restarts at the defined start position
- The trail time (= the time graded) is reset, but
- the total time keeps running
- Maximum speed (is limited in PICO): 0.5 m/s translational, 1.2 rad/s rotational.
- There will be no second attempt if first attempt was successful
On the right you can find one example of a Escape Room Challenge.
- The shape of the room is rectangular, the dimensions will not be given before the start of the challenge.
- PICO starts at a random position in the room (but equal for all groups), PICO does not necessarily face the exit, nor a straight wall.
- The orientation of the corridor will be perpendiculair to the wall.
- The wall (on the far end) of the corridor will be open
- The walls might not be perfectly straight, the corners might not be perfectly perpendicular, the walls of the corridor might not be perfectly parallel. The width of the corridor will be reasonable (somewhere between 0.5 and 1.5 meters).
- At the exit, the finish line is located more than 3 m into the corridor. The walls that can be used to align PICO will be a little bit longer.
- Make sure your software is easy to set-up, i.e:
- Your software can be updated with one easy command, e.g. 'git pull'
- Your software can be compiled using 'cmake' and 'make'
- To start your software, only one executable has to be called
- If your set-up deviates from this method, let your tutor know 1 week before the challenge!
- The software of all groups will be updated on the robot before the challenge starts
- This way, teams starting the challenge have as much time as teams that do the challenge at the end
Group Wiki Pages
Group 1 - visit wiki - Tutor: Wouter Kuijpers
Group 2 - visit wiki - Tutor: Wouter Houtman (Jordy senden in first week)
Group 3 - visit wiki - Tutor: Jordy Senden
Group 4 - visit wiki - Tutor: Bob Hendrikx
Group 5 - visit wiki - Tutor: Hao Liang Chen
Group 6 - visit wiki - Tutor: Marzieh Dolatabadi
Group 7 - visit wiki - Tutor: Yanick Douven
Group 8 - visit wiki - Tutor: Rene & Herman
Group 9 - visit wiki - Tutor: Marzieh Dolatabadi
Pico test schedule
- Testing takes place on the RoboCup field in Gemini-North.
- Be sure you have your software on git before coming to the test session so that you only have to git clone/git pull to get your code on the robot!
- Please charge the robot whenever possible so there is no down time due to empty batteries.
To submit for a timeslot you have to be logged in. Through the 'edit'-button for Pico test schedule, you can select a timeslot by typing 'Group <groupnumber>' behind the desired timeslot. - Submissions are last checked the day before at 22:00.
For week 19 each group can choose 2 time slots. Choose wisely.
|7-5-2019||10:45 - 11:40||3|
|7-5-2019||11:45 - 12:40||3|
|7-5-2019||13:30 - 14:25|
|7-5-2019||14:30 - 15:25||8|
|7-5-2019||15:30 - 16:25||7|
|7-5-2019||16:30 - 17:25||2|
|8-5-2019||10:45 - 11:40||4|
|8-5-2019||11:45 - 12:40||4|
|8-5-2019||13:30 - 14:25||8|
|8-5-2019||14:30 - 15:25||9|
|8-5-2019||15:30 - 16:25|
|8-5-2019||16:30 - 17:25|
|9-5-2019||08:45 - 09:40||5|
|9-5-2019||09:45 - 10:40||5|
|9-5-2019||10:45 - 11:40||7|
|9-5-2019||11:45 - 12:40||9|
|9-5-2019||13:30 - 14:25||2|
|9-5-2019||14:30 - 15:25|
|9-5-2019||15:30 - 16:25||1|
|9-5-2019||16:30 - 17:25||1|
For week 20 each group can choose 1 time slot on Monday/Tuesday and 1 time slot on Thursday/Friday. Choose wisely. Remark: Group 7 was allowed to an extra time slot on Monday/Tuesday as they were not able to use their time slot on thursday in week 19 due to technical issues with pico.
|13-5-2019||10:45 - 11:40||4|
|13-5-2019||11:45 - 12:40||5|
|14-5-2019||08:45 - 09:40||7|
|14-5-2019||09:45 - 10:40|
|14-5-2019||10:45 - 11:40||3|
|14-5-2019||11:45 - 12:40||7|
|14-5-2019||13:30 - 14:25||8|
|14-5-2019||14:30 - 15:25||2|
|14-5-2019||15:30 - 16:25||9|
|14-5-2019||16:30 - 17:25||1|
|16-5-2019||08:45 - 09:40||9|
|16-5-2019||09:45 - 10:40|
|16-5-2019||10:45 - 11:40||7|
|16-5-2019||11:45 - 12:40|
|16-5-2019||13:30 - 14:25||5|
|16-5-2019||14:30 - 15:25||3|
|16-5-2019||15:30 - 16:25||1|
|16-5-2019||16:30 - 17:25||4|
|17-5-2019||10:45 - 11:40||2|
|17-5-2019||11:45 - 12:40||8|
Bob Hendrikx - r dot w dot m dot hendrikx at tue dot nl
Hao Liang Chen - h dot l dot chen at tue dot nl
Jordy Senden - j dot p dot f dot senden at tue dot nl
Peter Dooren - p dot v dot dooren at tue dot nl
Manuel Muñoz Sánchez - m dot munoz dot sanchez at tue dot nl
César López - C dot A dot Lopez dot Martinez at tue dot nl