Logbook group 3

From Control Systems Technology Group

Jump to: navigation, search

Back to the PRE2018_3_Group3

Contents

Thursday 7-2-2019

Max, Jules, Jorick and Sunny 3.5 hours:

Brainstorming session which resulted in the following mind-map. It was also concluded that we should contact NS and Prorail to get to know what the biggest problems are for the users. This will be done in one of the upcoming meetings.

Image: 250 pixels

Friday 8-2-2019

Jorick 2.5 hours

  • Read the report from group 3 of 2016
  • Written down a sentence which summarized source 13 until 24 of group 3 2016
  • Searched for 5 new sources and written down a sentence which summarized them

Max 3 hours

  • Written down a sentence which summarized source 25 until 36 of group 3 2016
  • Searched for 5 new sources and written down a sentence which summarized them
  • Add every summarized source of group 3 2017 from the group google drive to the State of the Art section of the wiki in an organised way
  • Add the 25 new sources with summary from the group google drive to the State of the Art section of the wiki in an organised way

Joeri 3 hours

  • Globally read the report from group 3 of 2016
  • Written down a sentence which summarized source 49 until 63 of group 3 2016
  • Searched for 5 new sources and written down a sentence which summarized them

Sunny 3 hours

  • Read the report from group 3 of 2016 briefly
  • Written down a sentence that summarizes the sources 1 till 12 of group 3 of 2016
  • Searched for 5 new sources and wrote down a sentence for each of them

Tuesday 11-2-2019

Everyone 3 hours: The first feedback session was today and we got the following feedback:

  • Reflect on the wiki of group 3 from last year Group 3 2016
  • Take a critical look at their wiki
  • Search for improvements in their wiki
  • It does not have to be fully autonomously (man on the loop)
  • Do research about the train schemes
  • More support on your arguments on the wiki
  • More research about the critical problems which causes delays (less animals, but more critical problems)
  • State a concrete problem, not all obstacles
  • Ask Prorail what the real problems/obstacles are.
  • First contact the users NS and Prorail
  • Search for reports

We also called NS and Prorail Today.


The NS procedure continued via Facebook in the following chat and they will sent an update on Wednesday:


Beste NS,

Wij zijn studenten aan de TU Eindhoven en doen onderzoek naar de oorzaak van vertragingen. Voor ons vak USE proberen wij contact te leggen met de gebruikers van ons project. Wij gaan namelijk een robot designen die de sporen in Nederland schoon kan houden. Daarom, willen wij research doen naar vuil op het spoor. Kunt u ons helpen met verdere informatie te geven over de meest voorkomende oorzaak van vertraging?

Groeten,

Max, Jules, Jorick, Joeri en Sunny


Beste Jorick,

Wat een leuke opdracht! Zijn jullie hier helemaal zelf op gekomen? Ik ga kijken wat ik voor jullie kan betekenen. Vinden jullie het goed dat ik woensdag bij jullie terug kom met een update hierover? Zou je mij misschien je e-mailadres en telefoonnummer willen sturen? Dan heb ik die alvast paraat.

Groetjes, Emma.


Hallo Emma,

Bedankt voor jullie interesse. Wij horen graag woensdag een update en ben te bereiken via de mail op: jvhekke@zeelandnet.nl en via de telefoon op 06-22149199. Een telefonische update kan ook donderdag tussen 13:45 en 17:30 aangezien we dan weer een meeting hebben met de groep. Ik hoor graag van jullie.

Groetjes,

Max, Jules, Jorick, Joeri en Sunny


Volgens mij moet ik jullie bedankt voor de interesse! Ik heb mijn collega's benaderd en jullie zullen nog van mij horen. Ik wens jullie voor nu een hele fijne dag.

Groetjes, Emma.


Prorail will send us an update in about 2 weeks they told us.

Thursday 14-2-2019

Max, Jules, Jorick and Sunny 2.5 hours: During the meeting the task division was made which stated what everyone should do before Sunday:

Max:

  • USE aspects
    • Users
      • Primary Users
      • Secondary Users
    • Society
      • NS And Prorail explanation → difference between society and users.
    • Enterprise

Jules:

  • Concept + (Subject)
    • Explain in detail what our project is going to be like. We won’t focus on animals or whatever, because we think the user do not find this a critical problem after they contacted us.
  • Problem statement
  • Take a critical look at the report of the previous year

Jorick:

  • Research about leaves
  • Research about rust

Sunny:

  • Research on snow
  • Research on rust

Joeri:

  • RPC's
  • Research on constraints
    • train schemes
  • Take a critical look at the report of the previous year

Everyone:

  • Update logbook
  • Think about questions for Monday

We should have gotten an update from the NS via Facebook or by phone but we did not received anything. We again contacted NS to ask if they had thought about the questions but Emma did not find a person who could help us yet. The message we received is shown below:


Beste Jorick,

Bedankt voor je bericht! Helaas heb ik tot op heden nog niemand bereid gevonden om jullie hierbij verder te helpen. Ik wil het met alle liefde nog even afwachten, maar jullie kunnen misschien het beste even op onze Community gaan rondneuzen! 🙂

Groetjes, Emma.


We wanted to send the questions to Prorail today, in mind that we had an answer from the NS so that we could ask more specific questions. Due to the unanswered question from NS we sended the following mail to Prorail:


Beste mevrouw Lamsma,

Voor ons project over een robot die de sporen schoonmaakt/onderhoudt, zouden wij graag de volgende vragen willen stellen aan ProRail:

  • Wat zijn obstakels op het spoor die vertraging veroorzaken? En hoe lost ProRail dit op?
  • Welke andere problemen, naast eerder genoemde, kunnen voor vertraging zorgen? En hoe lost ProRail dit op?
  • Op welke manieren heeft ProRail geprobeerd bladeren van het spoor te verwijderen? Wat is ProRails ervaring hiermee, en zijn hier verslagen/rapporten over die ProRail met ons zou kunnen delen?
  • Hoe verwijdert ProRail sneeuw en roest van het spoor?

Wij zien graag uw reactie tegemoet.

Met vriendelijke groet, Max, Jules, Jorick, Joeri en Sunny.

After the E-mail was send everybody returned home to start working on their individual assignments.


Jorick 1.5 hours:

  • Did some research on the leaves and stated what the problem is and how it occurs.

Friday 15-2-2019

Today we received an answer from Prorail which came as a surprise because they told us it could last about 2 weeks until an answer was send. The Answer is shown below


Geachte heer Hekke,

Op 11 februari 2019 heeft u contact opgenomen met ProRail, vanwege uw studievragen voor een project van de TU in Eindhoven. Zoals afgesproken heeft u de vragen waar u een antwoord op wenst naar mij gestuurd. Hartelijk dank hiervoor.

Ik stuur u in deze email wat informatie mee en een aantal weblinks waar veel informatie met betrekking tot uw vragen is te vinden:

https://www.prorail.nl/nieuws/minder-vertraging-en-minder-meldingen-van-gevaarlijke-stoffen

https://www.prorail.nl/nieuws/prorail-test-mobiele-werkplek-voor-minder-vertragingen

https://www.prorail.nl/nieuws/door-slim-combineren-van-informatie-gaat-prorail-vertragingen-te-lijf

https://www.prorail.nl/reizigers/storingen-op-het-spoor/het-weer

https://www.prorail.nl/reizigers/weersinvloeden/herfst

https://www.prorail.nl/reizigers/nieuws/wisselverwarming-testen-bij-20-graden

Verder is het zo dat het spoor elke dag wordt bereden waardoor roestvorming eigenlijk niet mogelijk is. In gebieden waar minder treinen rijden wordt vaak 's nachts leeg materieel ingezet om het spoor te bereiden waardoor de roetsvorming eigenlijk niet kan ontstaan of zoveel mogelijk wordt voorkomen.

Ik hoop u zo voldoende te hebben geïnformeerd. Als u nog vragen of opmerkingen hebt, dan hoor ik het graag.

Graag vraag ik uw aandacht voor het volgende. ProRail is constant bezig om haar publieke dienstverlening te verbeteren. In het kader hiervan ontvangt u volgende week van Forum Marketing Research per e-mail een klanttevredenheidsonderzoek dat bestaat uit een aantal vragen over hoe ik u van dienst ben geweest. Ik zou het zeer waarderen wanneer u de tijd (maximaal 3 minuten) neemt om uw tevredenheid over mijn dienstverlening in dit onderzoek aan te geven. Ik wil u hier alvast voor danken.

Met vriendelijke groet,


Loes Lamsma | Medewerker Publiekscontacten | Communicatie

0800 - 776 72 45 (gratis nummer) | www.prorail.nl/contact

Postbus 2038, 3500 GA UTRECHT


Jorick 2.5 hours:

  • Updated the group about the answer from Prorail
  • Created the logbook of Thursday 14-2-2019.
  • Started to do research on the solutions of the leaves problem.

Saturday 16-2-2019

Jorick 2 hours:

  • Continued the research on the leaves
  • Copied the complete sections on the Wiki

Max 2.5 hour:

  • Started doing research on the different USE Aspects by gaining information on the different stakeholders
  • Written the section for Users in the USE Aspects section of the wiki
  • Written the section for Society in the USE Aspects section of the wiki

Sunny 6 hours:

  • Researched snow and ice on the rails
  • Researched problems due to snow/ice
  • Researched existing solutions

Sunday 17-2-2019

Max 1 hour:

  • Written the section for Enterprise in the USE Aspects section of the wiki

Jules 2 hours:

  • Written an introduction/problem statement for the project
  • Written a section about the concept
  • Rearranged some parts of the wiki to make it more readable

Joeri 4 hours:

  • Write RPC's section
  • Research train schedules in the Netherlands
  • Research whether there are trains at night and if so, where
  • Write down some points of critique for the group from 2016

Sunny 2 hours:

  • Write Down the Snow/ice section of the wiki

Monday 18-2-2019

Everyone 3 hours: Today we had the second feedback session and got the following feedback:

  • Sources normal (writer, (year), title, link)
  • It is allowed to use "we" and "our" in the report
  • Search for RPC list of Prorails mobile station, check also for RPC from NS
  • Why does the robot needs to be autonomous? Give a clear explanation of what it should do, why and how.
  • Make a clear and specific goal for our robot
  • When this is done a better RPC list can be made
  • Where to focus on? Which requirements?
  • Is there a solution?
  • Is it achievable to make the robot and mix it with the existing trainscheme
  • Get to the next level: ask yourself questions about aspects --> what does it mean? --> come with numbers (speed/weight/length etc.) --> engineering science --> technical aspects

After the feedback session a new to do list was made for everyone which divided the following tasks:

Max:

  • Research about how the robot works, during train coupled to train and at night individual

Jules:

  • What tasks are autonomously in the robot?
  • Why does it need to be a robot and no human?

Jorick:

  • Requirements for cleaning
  • Solutions possible at high speed?

Joeri:

  • What are the RPC's of the NS and Prorail which are important for our project
  • Make a more specific RPC list

Sunny:

  • What are the specific tasks of the robot?
  • why a robot and not a human?

Thursday 21-2-2019

Max, Jules, Jorick and sunny 1 hour:

  • Meeting in where certain solution where discussed
  • after 1 hour Jorick had to leave and Sunny also left

Jorick 1 hour:

  • Continued the research on the leaves
  • started searching for motors with the right specifications

Friday 22-2-2019

Jorick 2.75 hours:

  • Found the right motor and discussed it with the group
  • Added the requirements to the wiki
  • Added the calculations to the wiki
  • Added information about the laser and sweeper
  • Updated the logbook


Jules 3 hours:

  • Argued what the robot should do
  • Argued why a robot is better than a human for this task
  • Updated the logbook

Saturday 23-2-2019

Max 1 hour:

  • Research on amount of trains riding daily
  • Research on night trains

Sunny 2 hour:

  • Research about why it's better to use a robot instead of a human

Sunday 24-2-2019

Max 3 hours:

  • Set the requirements for cleaning at day and night
  • Research on different sizes of trains, platforms and overhead lines
  • Research on Fright trains
  • Wrote the Daytime and Nighttime part
  • Updated the logbook
  • Uploaded text to wiki with multiple references

Joeri 2 hours:

  • Update the RPC's to match the previous tutor meeting's feedback
  • Do research on what kind of brooms could be used by robot

Sunny 3 hours:

  • writing down in the drive what the robot should do specifically
  • Update wiki putting in the part about why it's better to use a robot for the task instead of a human

Monday 25-2-2019

Everyone 3 hours: During the feedback session the following improvements were obtained:

  • Only make it autonomous when it is needed, when not needed give arguments and a why.
  • Does not have to work as initial planned, research can show it should be done otherwise.
  • Main task is cleaning
  • What are the pros and cons of a robot in the night, is it useful in other trajects
  • Camera on robot is not useful when it is attached to the train, the machinist will make the decisions
  • Two situations in the night: Randstad and other trajects
  • More research on lasers, make a model, why no laser
  • What specifications influence the lasers output, more power makes ice melt faster?
  • Thickness of ice, speed of train, intensity of laser, make a quantitative research
  • Conclusion about size of laser
  • EVERYONE: DEPTH ANALYSIS ABOUT SUBJECT!

After the feedback session a new to do list was made for the upcoming 2 weeks:

Max:

  • Change research about day and night time driving (Randstad)
  • Attachment train research
  • Main causes of problems in introduction

Jules:

  • Measurements and sizes
  • Model in NX 10
  • Research on how Prorail currently cleans the railway

Jorick:

  • Change sweeper (horizontal to vertical)
  • Make a start on the components list

Joeri:

  • Change research about day and night time driving (Randstad)
  • Attachment train research

Sunny:

  • Better research on laser (quantitative)
  • Found the Planck's equation

Wednesday 6-3-2019

Max 1 hour:

  • Uploaded and edited introduction with delay cause graph
  • Updated the nighttime daytime part

Friday 8-3-2019

Max 2 hours:

  • research on the coupling system that needs to be used

Jorick 3 hours:

  • Updated part on sweeper
  • Started on the component list

Saturday 9-3-2019

Joeri 5 hours:

  • Convert pie chart about causes for train delays from Dutch to English
  • Research about maximum width and heigths of trains (loading gauge, or omgrenzingsprofiel), and implement that in the RPC's
  • Make a sketch of the robot in SketchUp

Sunny 6 hours:

  • Calculating the wavelength of the laser for different calculations of snowfall
  • Research about snow Density, joules needed to melt snow/ice, maximum number of snowfall in the netherlands

Sunday 10-3-2019

Max 1 hour:

  • Updated the wiki by writing the coupling system part

Sunny 5 hours:

  • Recalculating numbers of wavelength for errors
  • Research on Gamma-ray Lasers and radioactivity of Gamma-rays
  • Updating the wiki by updating the lasers for snow part
  • Updating the logbook

Joeri 1 hour:

  • Updated the wiki by writing about the prototype and providing a picture of the first model

Jules 3 hours:

  • Research on track maintenance organization
  • Research on track maintenance methods

Monday 11-3-2019

4 hours Everyone:

  • Tutor feedback session
  • To do list

Thursday 14-3-2019

Jorick 6 hours:

  • Started quantitative research on brushes (required torque and power)
  • Started editing the text about the sweeper
  • Implemented the equations in the wiki
  • Made a start on the calculations in Matlab

Max 1 hour:

  • Research on magnet collecting

Sunny 3 hour:

  • Research programming code
  • Helped with finding best times for the robot to be put to use

Saturday 16-3-2019

Jorick 4 hours:

  • Made an illustration about the lengths used in the equations
  • Finished the equations in Matlab
  • Exported the two plots
  • Edited the text about the sweeper
  • Wrote conclusion on sweeprs

Sunday 17-3-2019

Jorick 2.5 hours:

  • Made Appendix B in Latex and exported it into the wiki
  • Added the efficiency of the motor to the equations

Max 3 hours:

  • Writing the magnet metal collecting part
  • updating daytime nighttime section with non autonomy reason
  • Research on usability of machine
  • writing usability part

Sunny 5 hours:

  • Writing appendix a in latex
  • editing screenshot of appendix
  • uploading appendix A to wiki
  • Research on code for the robot

Joeri 3 hours:

  • Re-calculating how much energy it would cost to remove snow and ice from tracks, and what kind of laser would be required
  • Researching alternative method of de-icing railways
  • Rewriting the laser part for snow
  • Writing the laser part for ice

Jules 2 hours:

  • Continued research of last week
  • Research on the problem of ice on the tracks
  • Research on solving the problem of ice
  • Written the ice part for the wiki

Monday 18-3-2019

Everyone 3 hours:

  • Feedback meeting
  • Planning for this week
  • Continued their own research

Thursday 21-3-2019

Jorick 4 hours:

  • Continued the research on the life time of the sweepers
  • Continued research on lasers
  • Started calculation on temperature

Friday 22-3-2019

Jules 2 hours:

  • Written the conclusion
  • Written the discussion

Saturday 23-3-2019

Max 1.5 hours:

  • Research on the current expenses of ProRail
  • Analysing group PRE2016's cost budget analysis

Jorick 4 hours:

  • Completed the calculations for the laser and sweeper
  • Finished Appendix C and D

Sunday 24-3-2019

Max 4 hours:

  • Research on current expenses of ProRail
  • Writing Cost Analysis in wiki
  • Rewriting Usability section

Joeri 4 hours:

  • Write about how the robot is shaped
  • Explain the max height of the robot
  • Read through previous group’s wiki and try to improve their design
  • Change and update the prototype design

Sunny 4 hours:

  • Researching software lasers
  • Research cables for data in train
  • Research data network of the train

Monday 25-3-2019

Everyone 3 hours:

  • Made the first draft of the final presentation
  • Divided the tasks for the final presentation

Thursday 28-3-2019

Jorick 3 hours:

  • Completed the leaves part in the wiki
  • Made my slides of the presentation

Friday 29-3-2019

Jules 2 hours:

  • Research on costs of bogie
  • Written section about bogie

Saturday 30-3-2019

Max 3 hours:

  • Finalizing the cost analysis
  • Updating component list
  • Prepare own presentation part

Sunday 31-3-2019

Sunny 3 hours:

  • Finishing own part of presentation
  • Preparing what to say

Max 1.5 hours:

  • Practicing Presentation

Jorick 1 hours:

  • Removed some details in the presentation due to the short time
  • Practiced presentation

Joeri 1.5 hours:

  • Prepare presentation

Monday 1-4-2019

Everyone 4 hours:

  • Presentation lecture
  • Discussing peer-review

Thursday 4-4-2019

Max 2 hours:

  • Finalized the usability
  • Finalized the daytime and nighttime part
  • Finalized the USE aspects
  • Finalized the Metal part
  • Finalized the cost analysis

Jorick 1,5 hours:

  • Re-read my part about the leaves and made some corrections
  • Changed the dots '.' for commas ',', also in the Appendixes

Friday 5-4-2019

Jules 2 hours:

  • Finalized the introduction
  • Finalized the concept section
  • Filled in the logbook

Sunny 5 hours:

  • Writing the software part
  • Putting software in the wiki

Joeri 1 hour:

  • Expand discussion part
  • Read report and see what still has to be done

Saturday 6-4-2019

Everyone 1,5 hour:

  • Meeting to finalize the the wiki

Joeri 3 hours:

  • Change prototype section
  • Update objectives section
  • Put updated discussion in wiki
  • Update 'who will do what'

Monday 8-4-2019

Everyone 1 hour:

  • Read through wiki one final time for finishing touches, mostly spelling and grammar check
Personal tools